PROGRESS REPORT

Month #11 - AS OF September 28th, 2008

Prints Sold: 1905

Total Raised: $2680

Total Participants: 108

Farthest Degree of Separation: 3

Top Selling Print: #13 - View From The Pit, 47 sold

Farthest Distance: Sedgwick, Maine

Note: These figures are based on 4x6 prints purchased, and do not reflect responses by email alone.


THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!

To all of you who have participated so far...thank you so much!  I have been surprised, touched, moved to tears, and even laughed out loud by both your emails and letters accompanying your orders! The stories of how we are connected and how each of you learned about the project are very important to me, so keep sending them!  I look forward to updating you as this journey unfolds. From the bottom of my heart....THANK YOU!   ---Melanie bess

YOUR RESPONSES and WORDS FROM ME... BELOW

December 3, 2007

A Cousin's Poetry

I was very touched to find out that one of my first cousins, Rene', had been inspired to write the two following poems after seeing Image #1 - Gram's Hands. Rene's father is our Gram's eldest child. Rene's mother made sure I knew how touched she was not only by her daughter's writing, but also that Rene' wrote these poems on her mother's birthday, November 19th, 2007. Thank you Rene'!

Gram’s Hands

Weathered hands
Brought to life
Holding springs
Little delights
Colorful blooms
Standing bright
Brought energy
To the wrinkles of life
Each with a story
Each with a line
Telling you things
Of this aging rhyme


--Rene’ Miller

Flowers holding Gram

Spring with its blossoms
All bright and new
Being held in hands
All wrinkled and used
What’s the story?
Where’s the life?
Who’s to care for
This glorious sight?
Water the soul
Feed the life
There’s a story amongst
The strife
Listen closely and you’ll hear
Youth fading away into life…

--Rene' Miller

2 comments:

John (S) said...

Hi, my name is John Shields and I live in Clinton Township, MI (suburb of Detroit). I just came across your blog for the first time today, by way of J Sandifer's Blog (http://jbrides.wordpress.com/). I was looking / admiring your images, and then I started reading the story on the side bar. For some reason, it didn't click at the beginning of your story but the very end. You share a birthday with a few people I know. Me, my twin brother, and my Dad. Well anyways, I thought I'd leave a comment and wish you the best of luck.

I hope to purchase a few prints as well, just have to sit down with some time and look at them all (instead of racing through them on my lunch break at work). Best of luck. And I'll be forwarding your blog to a few people as well.

P.S.
While I don't have any type of formal photography training I pretend to take pictures too, my blog is www.jshie234.blogspot.com. I learned everything I know from my Dad, his blog is www.jimshieldsphoto.blogspot.com

Maybe there's something about that day that turns people into photographers.

J said...

Hello Melanie,

Not sure how I came across your blog, but thanks for the comment on mine. Blogs work virally through links and blog rolls. Maybe you could start a blog roll below your stat counter, on the right, of people's blogs who have talked about your mission. This will encourage more people to post and also get you good will!

Best of luck!